11.02.2014

Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

After much delay, it is finally time to post another recipe - a blueberry lemon bread...with poppy seeds! When I was a kid, my aunt used to make this bread whenever we would come to visit her and my cousins. Even now, I still savor the flavors of blueberry and lemon bursting with flavor. This post is dedicated to my Aunt Elizabeth because she shared with my siblings and me some baked goods that I will hope to make for my family one day. Whether you use bread pans or muffin tins, salivating is very much acceptable.


Makes:  Two 9x5-in loaves

Ingredients:

For Bread
3 cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ Tablespoons poppy seeds
2 ½ cups sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs
1 ½  cup milk
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Juice and zest of ½ lemon
2 – 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries

For Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
Juice of ½ large lemon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray two 9 x 5- in bread pans with non-stick cooking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, and sugar.

3. In a separate large bowl, combine oil, applesauce, eggs, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest until mixed well.  Gently fold in blueberries.

4. Gradually add dry ingredients to oil and applesauce mixture.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 55 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

6. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice. Using a toothpick, poke holes over the top of each loaf.

7. Pour the glaze over each loaf. Allow to cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment